The Ga-Dangme Lands Administration(GDLA) has lamented the inhumane manner in which its people are being dealt with by state bodies relative to their lands even in gross violation of the 1992 constitution of Ghana.
Ga-Dangme Lands Administration (GDLA) is an autonomous and a self–governing organization. The Tunnmaa Royal Dynasty, being the indigenous founder of the Greater Accra (Akra) Region and King Ayi Tunnmaa II, the Chief of Defense of the Ga State, is to ensure that the right and legitimate Ga Mantse (The Ga King) is installed through the authority vested in the GDLA.
In a petition to the President of the Republic, Nana Akufo-Addo, the Ghana Adangbe Lands Administration brings to the attention of the President, the unresolved issue of the return of state lands back to the Allodial owners despite it being provided for by the 1992 constitution.
They further bemoan the blatant manner in which state bodies are grossly violating the 1992 constitution in depriving the Ga-Dangme people of their lands irrespective of several court rulings to that effect.
“There are court judgments in favor of the Ga-Dangme people regarding our lands, but unfortunately we are being humiliated, “insulted”, marginalized, deprived of our rights and privileges, and some of the times intimidated, harassed and brutalized, and the state bodies that are supposed to enforce the judgments are not doing what it is expected of them, in blatant and gross violation of the 1992 Constitution,” it said.
Also, the petition cites a specific case where Military officers attacked some La people on 14th April, 2021 which they describe as a suppression of the will of its people to fight for their land.
Moreover, the petition mentions the Lands commission which they say has arrogated to itself unlawful powers by engaging in the unlawful sale of state lands with the brazen connivance of some unscrupulous politicians and their friends and cronies, thereby grabbing these lands and depriving the allodial owners (Ga-Dangme) lawful access to and possession of our lands.
Referring to Article 20(5) (6) of the 1992 Constitution, the GDLA indicates that the rights of the Ga-Dangme people have been and are still being trampled upon with impunity, in total violation of the 1992 Constitution in the full glare of past and current governments.
The petition, in addition, refers to the displacement of womenfolk from the Makola No.1 and No. 2; the influx of new migrants from the sub-region, and the GLDA’s utter surprise for not being invited to the NATIONAL SYMPOSIUM ON THE LAND ACT 2020 organized on June 23, 2021.
In conclusion, the Ghana-Dangme Lands Administration(GDLA) put forward 9-point demands in its petition as follows;
- A FULL REPORT PROFILING ALL PUBLIC AND VESTED LANDS AND ACCOUNTING FOR ALL SUCH LANDS THAT HAVE NOT BEEN USED FOR THE PURPOSES FOR WHICH THEY WERE ACQUIRED BY THE STATE BUT HAVE BEEN DEMISED TO INDIVIDUALS AND PRIVATE ENTITIES,
- A FULL REPORT AND ACCOUNTING OF ALL COMPENSATIONS AND ROYALTIES, PAID OR NOT PAID, THAT HAVE BEEN DUE TO THE ALLODIAL AND RIGHTFUL STOOLS, CLANS, AND FAMILIES OF THE GA-DANGME,
- ON THE ISSUE OF THE MARKET WOMEN, WE WANT TO SECURE THE RAWLINGS PARK (OLD MAKOLA NO.1) IN THE HEART OF ACCRA CENTRAL BUSINESS DISTRICT FOR REDEVELOPMENT INTO A MODERN MULTI-STOREY (ABOUT 15) MARKET AND BUSINESS HUB BY THE GDLA. WE WILL GIVE PRIORITY SPACE (FIRST THREE FLOORS) TO THE WOMEN. TO THIS EFFECT, WE WANT ANY CONSIDERATIONS, PLANS, OR NEGOTIATIONS, IF ANY, THAT ARE ONGOING FOR THE REDEVELOPMENT OF RAWLINGS PARK (OLD MAKOLA NO.1) TO BE PUT ON HOLD, PENDING GDLA’S INTERVENTION WITH ITS PLANS,
- H. E. THE PRESIDENT ISSUING AN EXECUTIVE ORDER GIVING THE GDLA UNENCUMBERED ACCESS TO SOME STATE LANDS THE LIST OF WHICH THE GDLA WILL PRESENT TO THE PRESIDENT. THE MOST IMPORTANT ONE IS THE 6 ACRE LAND AT RIDGE OPPOSITE THE RIDGE HOSPITAL THAT WE ARE TOLD IS BEING TAKEN OVER BY THE BANK OF GHANA. WE HAD EARMARKED THE LAND FOR THE CONSTRUCTION OF GDLA’S MAGNIFICENT OFFICE COMPLEX, (SEE APPENDIX II),
- H. E. THE PRESIDENT ISSUING AN EXECUTIVE ORDER, DIRECTING THE LANDS COMMISSION TO PLOT ALL OUR JUDGEMENTS RECEIVED FROM THE COURTS AGAINST THE STATE REGARDING OUR LANDS (SEE APPENDIX III) – HOW CAN A LANDLORD BE REDUCED TO A TENANT, AND NOT RECEIVE THE CONSIDERATIONS AND ENJOY SOME PRIVILEGES AS THE ALLODIAL OWNER WHO HAD ORIGINALLY GIVEN THE LANDS GRACIOUSLY TO THE STATE,
- THE MINISTRY OF FOREIGN AFFAIRS, THE MINISTRY OF THE INTERIOR, AND THE GHANA IMMIGRATION SERVICE (GIS) MUST AS A MATTER OF URGENCY LIAISE WITH THE FOREIGN MISSIONS OF THE COUNTRIES WHERE THESE MIGRANTS HAVE COME FROM, AND WITH ALL THE SERIOUSNESS LOOK AT HOW TO GET THEM BACK TO THEIR COUNTRIES,
- IN THE MEANTIME, THE MIGRANTS MUST IMMEDIATELY BE WARNED TO STOP BRINGING THEIR CHILDREN INTO THE STREETS. THE MINISTER FOR INNER CITY AND ZONGO DEVELOPMENT MUST UP HIS WORK IN THIS DIRECTION,
- THE GDLA WOULD LIKE TO HAVE AN AUDIENCE WITH YOU, YOUR EXCELLENCY, TO DISCUSS THIS STATE LANDS ISSUE AND OTHER PERTINENT ISSUES TO AVERT IMMINENT AGITATIONS AND A CRISIS SITUATION FROM THE GA-DANGME COMMUNITIES, SOME OF WHICH WE ALL HAVE WITNESSED IN THE NOT TOO DISTANT PAST,
- LASTLY BUT NOT LEAST, WE TAKE THIS OPPORTUNITY TO COMMEND THE GOVT FOR THE WAIVER GRANTED FOR THE FEE FOR THE STAMP DUTY WHEN REGISTERING OUR INTEREST IN OUR LANDS. WE WOULD HOWEVER NOT HESITATE TO ASK FOR MORE, LIKE OLIVER TWIST. WE WOULD LIKE TO ASK FOR A NEW PAYMENT ARRANGEMENT FOR THE COST OF SURVEYING WORK FOR OUR LAND TO BE CONSIDERED FOR TRADITIONAL AUTHORITIES.