The Circuit Court in Accra, presided over by Her Honour, Evelyn Asamoah, has warned it would be forced to strike out the case in which Chief Executive officer (CEO) of Menzgold Ghana Limited Nana Appiah Mensah (NAM1) has been arraigned for defrauding.
The court was unhappy about the delay on the part of the prosecution to file the necessary documents for trial to commence.
In court on Tuesday, March 2, the prosecutor, Assistant Superintendent of Police (ASP) Sylvester Asare again prayed the court to give them more time be to able to file their witness statement and other documents.
It was the case of the prosecution that the number of victims involved in the case was over 16, 000 people and therefore more time would be required by the prosecution to do the necessary investigations.
ASP Asare prayed the court for time and begged the court not to strike out the case.
EIB Network’s Court Correspondent, Murtala Inusah, reported that NAM1 was present in court. The case was adjourned to April 1, 2021.
At the last court date, the prosecution, led by ASP Asare, said investigations were ongoing so he wanted to take a date.
The defence did not raise any objection and the court adjourned the case.
On October 1, 2020, ASP Asare told the court that the prosecution was hopeful the trial will commence this legal year.
According to ASP Asare: “the instruction from our solicitors is that they are working hard to forward their advice to the court.”
He told the court that “as we begin the legal year, this matter will be commenced” before praying the court to grant them an adjournment.
While acknowledging that the prosecution appears to “always come here with one story or the other” ASP Asare prayed the court to “indulge us,” over the delay.
NAMI was initially charged with abetment of crime, defrauding by false pretences, carrying on a deposit-taking business without a licence, sale of minerals without a licence, unlawful deposit-taking, and money laundering.
It is alleged that the accused had taken over GH¢1.6 billion from customers.
The State had previously on June 24, 2020, filed new charges against the CEO of Menzgold, also known as NAM 1 at the Accra Circuit Court.
ASP Asare then told the Court that his directives were that he should hold on to the new charges and the plea taking of the accused.
On July 20 2020, ASP Asare told the court that, they were seriously working to advise the court on the matter.
He said when the advice is ready they will issue hearing notice to the accused persons to appear before the court to do the needful.
The Circuit Court on July 26, 2019, granted NAM 1 bail in the sum of GH¢1 billion cedis with five sureties, three to be justified.
He had pleaded not guilty to all initial 13 charges levelled against him by the State. The state had since amended its charged sheet which is yet to be moved.
He is also to report to the police every Wednesday at 10:00 am.